Tips and Hints
Saving Energy means Saving Money.
Saving on your monthly electric bill and reducing the amount of electricity you consume doesn’t have to mean spending a lot of money or being a home improvement expert. Here are the most common things you can do to help lower your energy costs:
- Replace incandescent lights with Compact Fluorescent Bulbs
(you can even get a rebate from Arrowhead Electric!)
- Turn off lights when not in use
- Use an outdoor photocell or motion sensor with outdoor flood and yard lights
- If applicable to your home, use electronic ballasts with T8, 32 watt lights
- Keep your thermostat set no higher than 68 degrees in the winter time.
- If you have a forced air system be sure to change the furnace filters as reccomended by the manufacturer.
- Ensure your windows are closed tightly and locked.
- Install door sweeps to prevent cold winter air from entering your home
- At night, close drapes and shades. During sunny days, open them.
- Set your water heater no higher than 120 degrees F.
- Install low flow shower and faucet heads (this will reduce the amount your well pump must run too).
- Fix dripping faucets.
- Don’t let the water run while brushing teeth, shaving, or doing dishes.
- Insulate any exposed hot water lines.
For a more comprehensive list of money saving tips visit our partners at Touchstone Energy.